On August 18, I got a comment on my blog from a perfect stranger. I cannot express how exciting it was to know that someone, somewhere, had read my writing and commented positively on it.
It turns out that my commenter also has a blog and we started writing at just about the same time. Feeling the need to reciprocate and curious about her take on the world, I checked it out. I, too, left a comment and then I started checking out other blogs – specifically blogs that I could find using the key word “skiing.”
There actually weren’t that many, but three stood out and I have placed them on my blogroll (definition from… you’ll love this… wiktionary: a blogger’s list of hyperlinks that are recommendations to other blogs), so that you too, dear reader, can check them out.
1. dayinthelifepc.com – Cool video blog produced by a group of kids in Park City, Utah. They focus on extreme sports, especially skiing, skateboarding, rollerblading, snowboarding and more. Always wanted to know how to grind on rails? They’ll show you. Wonder why people ski with a helmet cam? They’ll inspire you. There’s some fun, interesting and informative stuff here. I love it and so do my kids.
2. Ski Diva – This blog, written by Wendy Clinch, has occasional posts on skiing. Wendy and her husband Jon Clinch are authors. She has written two Ski Diva mysteries (Double Black and Fade to White). Jon’s most recent work, Kings of the Earth, was chosen by Oprah as the leadoff of her summer-reading list. I love to read and having never heard of the Ski Diva mysteries, I am excited to put them on my fall and winter reading list. I’ll let you know what I think about them.
3. UrbanSkierWorkerMom – This blog chronicles one mom’s quest to become a Nordic skate-skiing champion while also being a full-time mom and worker. The USWM recently relocated to Colorado and is about to have her second baby. I’ve already invited her to do some skiing on the beautiful Grand Mesa and I hope she takes me up on it when her life slows down a bit! I’m sure I will slow her down a bit, but I’ve been looking for an excuse to try skate skiing.
I also have links on my blogroll to my friends’ sites.
1. The Fat Cyclist – If you ride, you must check out Fatty. I went to Junior High with him and he was not fat then, nor is he now. He is funny, insightful and well-connected in the cycling world. He finished the Leadville 100 in 9+ hours. He raises tons of money for Livestrong and he gives away lots of gear.
2. The Outdoor Junkie – The OJ is my friend and neighbor and one fabulous adrenaline-fueled woman. Her blog and tweets on Twitter highlight her outdoor adventures and promote the Western Colorado lifestyle. She also takes beautiful photographs. I look forward to writing about a Brave Ski Mom/Outdoor Junkie field trip (still to be planned. I may have to twist her arm to slum with me) which will surely test my limits, if not hers.
3. Erin Paige Pitts Interiors – Erin is married to a Colorado College classmate of mine and is an amazing designer. Check out her site for gorgeous photos of beautiful coastal homes. She specializes in coastal living, but recently started another business called Vacation House Review. VHR will be listing ski properties and I will be sharing some of these with you on the BSM, because we all know that brave ski moms need a little luxury after a day on the slopes.
4. Carazymom – This is another blog that started about the same time I started. Once upon a time, Carazymom was the youth pastor at our former church. We didn’t have any youth at that time, so I knew her as a friend. Now she is the mother of two small children, a self-described Jesus Freak, and a wonderful warm person. She writes about her adventures as a mom and publishes half-naked photos of Tim Tebow.
PS – A word of explanation and apology to my subscribers (thank you!!) who probably noticed in late August and early September, my problems with “premature publication.” I couldn’t seem to tell the “update” and “publish” buttons apart. I think I have a better method now, but do apologize for sending out a couple of drafts.
© 2010 – 2017, braveskimom. All rights reserved. Any use or publication of content, including photos, requires express permission.